Jul 18, 2006

Interning

Greetings wonderful world of the outside! Yes, it has been a great while and today I get a chance to post (since all our Pseudomonas and DH5a E. coli strains refuse to grow so we can lyse them and take their DNA) despite the evil German layout kezboard in front of me.

Right now I´m interning in the Research Centre of Jülich, where I´ve become temporary staff of the Institute of Molecular Enzyme Technology - pretty funky eh? even got the security card to get by the grim looking gate guards and avoid questioning. I suppose when you´ve got genetically modified human pathogens in stock (let alone the insane equipment the Plasma Physics buildings are full of) one needs grim looks. That´s largely the reason why no pictures of the Centre shall ever appear on the web2.0, I apparently signed an agreement swearing me to secrecy concerning the wheelings and dealings of this place.

Something is fishy, we´re outside the city with forests all around and only 1 road in, what appears to be an uranium enrichment research facility is just a few hundred meters down right before we pass the military base on the way home. Creepy.
Currently the apartment I´m in is a small affair but livable with cross ventilation! The kitchenette allows much experimentation on the weekends since, so far, there´s been little to do thanks to the heat. I hate electric stoves. Anyway, the daily grind is quite a drain and I usually plonk utterly after the end of the day here. Could either be the fatigue or the effects of the chemicals.

I´ll see what I can do about photos, at least I might be able to show the world a few of this little outcrop of civilization.

Ciao for now...

No comments: