Jun 22, 2005

Graduation, pollution, and old stones

But first I have to mention this year’s graduation ceremony. Unlike ours last year, there was no rain to force us into the gym. The birds were singing, the sun giving the whole scene a warm radiance, coastal observation helicopters whirled overhead, and the memories of last year came rushing back. I got all choked up. I was admittedly a bit jealous of the conditions, but the class of ’05 deserved it. A bunch of other class of ’04 people were there. A warm fuzzy feeling indeed. I’ve seen the ceremony from pretty much all sides know; as an elementary, middle school, and high school student waiting to be part of it; as a graduating student exhibited in front of the spooky audience; and now, on the other side. The only roles left to play are as a teacher, the principal, and a guest speaker – not a worst case scenario, but getting uncomfortably close to it. Anyhow, I did get to see my first and third grade teachers there and come to terms with my own ancientness. The doleful strains from Fiddler on the Roof (Sunrise, sunset, sunrise, sunset, swiftly flow the years…) waft through the breeze as I vanish to neutralize whatever’s eating my skin with pure malt vinegar…

No comments: