May 31, 2005

Interstellar Cheesiplicity

Another terrestrial rotation, our wonderful fusion furnace slamming together 600 million tons of hydrogen to churn out 596 million tons of helium ~ that precious 4 million converted into the energy that rides the solar winds for the express purpose of turning English tourists into fleshy lobsters. Chilling in the corridor, reminiscing to one of Shaggy’s old albums that used to be a staple of mine back in the mid 90s (Jeez, I can actually say stuff like that now – someone remind me to sacrifice an armadillo to Chronos later [speaking of armadillos – did you know they’re the only other species aside from ours that can contract leprosy? Something to keep you up at night]).

Today I paid my usual vacation homage to my old school. Almost instantly I was roped into an ‘Art Festival’ this weekend. No offence to anyone intended, but I’ve already started praying. Anyway, my ‘role’ is not too demanding, shout at sixth graders in order to bring them to silence (ironic no? when I was in sixth grade I don’t think I really appreciated that, we’ll see if these guys do, muahhahaha).

More soberly, On the way back from school, our bus halted at a set of traffic lights. A jeep sped through the red light regulating the road perpendicular to ours, lost control, flattened a road sign and overshot the pavement landing (since it was hurtling about a meter off the ground once it hit the curb) in some fig trees. The bus driver immediately made the sign of the cross over himself and drove on. Seeing the drama didn’t really stir me at all, no one in the bus in fact excepting the driver was shaken. I don’t think was empathically unable to reach out. I did feel the panic and true fear in the jeep driver, but after a crescendo, it gave way to an eerie calm. Perhaps once the organism sees that it can no longer influence its own survival, a non-biological clarity emerges. The beat goes on.

No comments: